Many people do not like cats, others are afraid. There are also those who are allergic to the hair of these animals. There are different homemade repellents to keep the felines away that will help you in your goal of removing them from your home or park. As they are natural, they are not bad for the kittens or for your family.
Rosemary, lavender and cinnamon
These three strong aroma spices will scare away any cat. The proportions are 3 tablespoons each for every 3 cups of boiling water. Mix well and put in a jar with a lid. Cover and let stand overnight. Pour into another container using a fine mesh to strain and then go to a spray bottle.
Add ¾ cup of vinegar and 15 drops of orange essential oil. Shake to combine and spray in the usual areas where the cat appears. It is not recommended that it falls directly on the plants.
Eucalyptus and Lemon
This mixture has a refreshing aroma for humans, but is a perfect repellent for cats, since they "consider" an unpleasant smell. In addition, eucalyptus is used to scare away mosquitoes. Therefore it cannot be missing in your house. To make this recipe you need ¼ liter of water, 20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil and 10 drops of lemon essential oil (if you can't, you can use the peel of a lemon).
You just have to mix everything in a spray bottle and spray in those places preferred by him or the cats. Keep in mind that it can be harmful to your plants and flowers. Do not throw directly on the animal and let it ingest it.
If humans make us sneeze the aroma of pepper ... imagine the reaction it can cause in animals, whose sense of smell is much more developed than ours. This repellent is quite effective. You have to put in a saucepan a cup of water and boil it. Pour two tablespoons of ground black pepper. Be very careful so that the steam does not make you cry. Open the kitchen windows while you are ready.
Let it boil for 5 minutes, remove from heat and wait for it to cool down to a spray bottle and spray in the outdoor places where you have seen the visiting cats.
More homemade cat repellents
In addition to the recipes that we have indicated, there are other interesting and effective techniques to not allow kittens to approach your home:
- Cut lemon or lime peels and spread them throughout the garden, the pots and under the windows.
- Put a sprig of rosemary in a glass of water and leave on the outside of the house.
- Pour ground coffee used between plants and where cats usually appear.
- Spread a handful of powdered chlorine (the one used in swimming pools) through the garden.
Do not use mothballs to throw cats because they are very toxic, and not only for them, but also for people (especially if you have small children). Also do not use sprays that contain chili pepper, pepper, cayenne pepper or similar, since these ingredients are harmful to the health of animals and can cause permanent damage.
Steps to make a homemade cat repellent
- Lavender, rosemary and cinnamon: all three have strong aromas that will undoubtedly scare away any cat. Prepare a mixture with 3 tablespoons of each spice for every 3 cups of boiling water. Stir well and put the mixture in a jar that has a lid. Let stand overnight and then pass it to a spray bottle straining with a mesh and adding 3/4 cup of vinegar and 15 drops of orange essential oil. Spray in areas where the cat usually appears.
- Lemon and Eucalyptus: It is a refreshing combination for people but a perfect repellent for homemade cats, since for them it is an unpleasant smell. Mix in a bottle with 1/4 liter of water spray, 20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil and 10 drops of lemon essential oil (it can be the skin of a lemon). Spray in areas that usually receive cat visits and will stop going.
- Pepper: normally humans sneeze if we smell pepper, so cats will do much more since their smell is more developed. Boil a cup of water and add two tablespoons of ground black pepper. Let it boil for 5 minutes and when it is cooled, transfer it to a spray bottle to spray in areas where there are cats. It is recommended that it be outdoors since the smell will make you cry.
- Lemon peels: Another good repellent for homemade cats is to cut several lime or lemon peels and distribute them through the pots, the garden and under the windows, very attractive places for cats.
- Rosemary: Put a sprig of rosemary in a glass of water and leave it in the outdoor areas of the home, such as the patio or the garden.
- Ground coffee: Place ground coffee that has already been used between the plants and through the garden floor that cats usually step on.
- Chlorine powder: Spread a good handful of powdered chlorine through the garden. It is the same one that is used for pool maintenance.
Do you know any other homemade cat repellent that is really effective?
Repellent for cats based on vinegar and lemon
Ingredients as natural and common in any home as white vinegar and lemon, can help us make an excellent repellent for homemade cats, which It will help us a lot to scare away cats. This repellent will not harm any cats, it will simply keep them away by their smell.
It consists of squeezing one or two lemons in half a liter of water, to which we will add half a liter of white vinegar, obtaining as a result a liter of natural repellent against cats very effective.
It is enough to introduce the mixture in a sprayer, and spray the surroundings of our house and garden generously to prevent cats from entering to pry. In addition, if we place the lemon peels that we have used in the pots, their smell will make it even more effective.
Cats hate the smell of lemon and vinegar, so there is nothing more effective in repelling them than bordering our home with that smell. And yes, during the first hour we can also smell the vinegar ... but after a while the smell fades completely.
However, the sharp sense of smell of cats will continue to appreciate vinegar and lemon for many days, so that they will stay well away.
How to repel cats with essential oils
If you don't like the idea of using vinegar because you hate its smell, you can always use essential oils to make a preparation with a very pleasant smell for us humans, but very nasty for our feline friends cats.
To do this you must buy lemon essential oil and eucalyptus essential oil, in herbalists or online stores they sell them at a very low price and with a small amount we will have to make thousands of preparations.
We will add ten drops of eucalyptus oil and ten drops of lemon oil to half a liter of water. Shake it well and with the help of the sprayer we will spray the solution around the contour of our house.
This peculiar smell, very pleasant for us, will be like an invisible barrier that prevents cats from entering our house or garden. It is a very effective cat repellent and it is also natural, it does not poison or harm them.
Why repel a cat from my home or garden?
Everyone has their own reasons, from the presence of dogs in our garden that can run to chase cats, to a simple allergy to cat hair. If someone does not want cats in their home these are the best options, since it does not harm them, it only drives them away.
There are people who use poisons or harmful chemicals, remember that your dog or a child can also touch them and get intoxicated. Betting on non-harmful homemade repellents is without a doubt the best choice.
If you have already tried these repellents or know a different one that is also effective, leave us your opinion or suggestions in the comments. If you want to learn more about the world of cats, we recommend you read: