It is true that, during the last two years, thanks to the platforms “pet friendly”Different movements are being generated to try to modify this aspect, following the regulations already existing in other European cities such as Sweden, Berlin or London. Yes, dogs can travel by bus, but the dimensions of the bus cabins currently represent an important limitation for the coexistence between travelers, owners and dogs.
Traveling with dog in urban bus
First, let's differentiate the concept "traveling with a dog in an urban bus ”, associated with short trips, Of the "travel with a dog by intercity or line bus ”. If "travel with dog in urban bus”, There are minimal differences between the regulation of the different Spanish cities, although in all it is established that the dog cannot exceed 10 kg of weight, and must travel within an approved carrier, with secure closure, and conditioned with a waterproof bottom and odorless The owner must be aware of the animal at all times and avoid bothering other travelers.
As in the rest of the means of transport, guide or assistance dogs are exempt from these regulations, although they must be properly tied and muzzled, with the owner carrying all the documentation accrediting their condition.
Travel with a dog by intercity or line bus
If "travel with a dog by intercity or line bus”, The regulations are very precise, despite some variation depending on the intercity bus companies that allow traveling with dogs. Below, we list the basic aspects of current regulations, but we recommend that you contact in advance with the bus company chosen to travel, in order to confirm this information and give you the details:
- In general, only one dog is allowed to travel by bus / displacement, although some company does not limit the number of pets per service. Simply, it limits it according to how full the service goes, and the amount of luggage that accumulates in the hold.
- Its weight cannot exceed 10 Kg, and it cannot travel in the passenger cabin.
- During the journey it will be located in the hold, usually next to the luggage of the passengers, inside a rigid carrier, with grate and secure closure. The transport must incorporate in its base an impermeable bottom, in case the animal vomits or makes its depositions. It is important to prevent the dog from wearing the muzzle placed inside the carrier during travel, especially if it is hot, or it will need to vomit.
- The dog must travel with its microchip and the vaccination card and updated deworming.
- The owner can check when depositing the transport in the cabin, ideally about 15 minutes before the start of the journey, that the conditions of the winery are optimal for the dog's trip, in terms of space and temperature.
- The owner will be responsible for the embarkation and disembarkation of the dog is the least annoying for the other travelers.
- It is necessary for the owner to notify the company, prior to the purchase of the ticket, that he will travel with a dog, taking into account that he will have to pay approximately 50% of the cost of his ticket in order to travel with him. This cost must be paid when the owner purchases his ticket. Some company allows owners to save the cost of travel of the dog, and only demand that a specific form provided by the company itself be filled out. We recommend that you inform yourself in detail about this aspect before purchasing the ticket, in case there is any conditioner (small print), to be able to enjoy this saving.
- Dogs for the blind or for assistance may travel at no additional cost, in the central aisle of the passenger cabin, proving their condition, and with the updated dog health documentation. The dog must be tied and muzzled, always controlled by its owner.
For information purposes, it is important to note that the leading intercity travel bus companies are expanding their fleets to offer what they usually call “Premium buses”. These types of buses, in addition to being equipped to cover all the work and comfort needs of travelers, incorporate a specific room or cabin for pets, perfectly conditioned to meet your travel needs, providing greater peace of mind to their owners in the dog transport by bus. Prices are substantially higher than those of the conventional fleet, but they can be a good alternative to consider for bus trips with dogs Long haul
The Municipal Transport Company of Madrid (EMT) has approved, in its last Delegated Committee, the modified text of the new "Regulations for Travel" on buses, which will allow you to get on this means of transport with dogs on foot, whenever they wear strap and muzzle. It can also be accessed with electric scooters.
One of the most outstanding news of the new article, whose final approval and entry into force will be submitted to the Delegate Commission of the Regional Transportation Consortium and, ultimately, to the Ministry of Transportation of the Community of Madrid, is that EMT will allow traveling with pets, mainly dogs, by its own foot.
In this sense, to the current regulations that allow traveling with dogs and other pets in transport carriers or similar and that allows access with dogs by their own foot when it comes to guide animals of disabled or blind people, the possibility of traveling with dogs is added provided the owner has a specific authorization card issued by EMT.
Dogs must travel at all times subject to a leash and muzzle and must be placed, lying down, under the seat that occupies its owner or companion in the front of of the bus (that is, between the front door and the central door).
Access to the bus with dogs will be allowed every day of the week throughout the service except on weekdays between 7.30 and 9.00 and between 16.30 and 19.00. Access to the bus with dogs will, in any case, be limited to one animal per vehicle, and subject to the occupation of the vehicle according to the criteria of the EMT staff.
Where do dogs travel?
If we want to take our furry with us, they will have to go each in their carrier or cage, which must be approved (in the case of Europe, by the European Union or EU), inside the cellar. The transfer of the animals will be carried out under our sole responsibility.
What do we have to know if we want to travel with the dog with the bus?
As travelers we have to be on the bus 15 minutes before leaving, to be able to introduce the cage into the cellar following the instructions of the driver. For the sake of the hairy, it must be in good physical, hygienic and mood conditions. The use of the muzzle is not mandatory (except for those races considered dangerous).
We hope that soon we can take our dogs with us, and not in the same place of the suitcases.
It is the driver that announces the trip in applications like BlaBlaCar or Amovens who specifies whether or not to travel with pets in the car. The animal cannot make the journey without its owner and if the pet occupies a place that prevents another passenger from being able to travel, the owner of the animal must make the reservation for the two seats.
In addition, the possibility of traveling with Personal Mobility Vehicles (VMP), such as electric scooters and other similar ones, which must be protected or folded, if possible, is regulated for the first time.
Like other objects on board, they must have a size and features that do not involve discomfort or danger to other travelers and only one of these vehicles on board will be allowed, being the drivers who decide - depending on the circumstances of the trip - the vehicles that should or should not access the bus.
As for the shopping carts, backpacks, suitcases, travel bags or shopping bags, the new regulation affects the need not to exceed the size equivalent to a «hand luggage»And to bring them« duly subject »
The limitation is set to «one package per person»And, in the case of shopping carts, two cars are allowed on board a bus maximum. Once again the drivers are those who, in the last instance, are empowered to allow, or not, the access of these objects depending on the occupation of the vehicle.